The success of any program being implemented at community level lies in the community's acceptance of program ownership.
The community response to malaria is being implemented through a demand driven approach. As such, community ownership of programs is being strengthened with support from the World Bank and NMCC is working with CRAIDS in the following:
- Financing, identifying projects, planning and management of projects by communities themselves.
- Supporting NGOs with programs which address expressed needs of communities and agreed criteria.
- Supporting District malaria implementation and coordinating bodies with capacity building activities to enable a district support and facilitate the community response
- Establishing strategies for the dissemination of appropriate information to communities, districts and other relevant bodies in close collaboration with NMCC
Indicative priority themes include:
- Utilization of ITNs
- Social mobilization on malaria preventive and control measures
- Treatment of cases within twenty four hours of onset of symptoms
- Providing access to spray operators during the IRS exercise
- Environmental management